Build a List for Email Marketing
Email marketing helps businesses not only to build relationships with customers, but gives them a proven way to nurture leads and convert them into long lasting customers.
No matter what type of business, an email list is the most important element of a successful marketing strategy. With that list, businesses can share their story, promote their business, and showcase their products, all while turning subscribers into paying customers.
Online businesses that want to attract potential customers can use opt-in forms on their websites to attract sign ups. Experienced content marketers use lead magnets to generate leads. You can also combine pop‑up forms and Facebook ads to start growing your email list in a few simple steps.
Recommended for anyone!
How much can you earn? It depends on your list – but you could definitely make a good living from email marketing if you have a big and loyal list. However, it’s important to understand that it takes time to build a healthy list and start making money – once you do get to a certain stage though, it’s just a question of keeping up the great work and sending regular emails to your list to keep growing and make more money
Start-up costs: you’ll need an email marketing tool – we use and recommend ConvertKit – to send automated emails to your list, a lead generation tool – we use (and recommend!) OptinMonster – and a landing page builder (Landingi is a super easy to use tool to quickly design and publish your landing page) to host your subscription form
Email marketing has huge potential – and anyone with a good idea can start.
Basically, here’s how it works:
- You create a landing page or a one-page website where people can sign up to your list and you explain why they should join; here’s an example of such a landing page, from Mister Spoils, a super popular niche email marketer:
- You set up an opt-in form to start collecting names and email addresses for your email list – as I mentioned earlier, I use and recommend OptinMonster (you’ll find a huge selection of templates you can use and numerous features to help you boost subscriptions) – here’s mine as an example:
- Get an email marketing tool like ConvertKit to start sending emails to your list, including automated emails and automated email sequences (for example, when someone signs up for the first time, you’d want to send them an automated welcome email where you tell them everything they need to know about your emails and then send them a series of other emails designed to nurture these leads):
- Sign up for relevant affiliate programs: in order to monetize your list, you can promote relevant affiliate products and services within your email’s content. This is a highly effective way to make money with email marketing and the more your list grows, the more your earnings will to. With the right strategy and a big list, you can stand to make even tens of thousands of dollars a month (but, as I mentioned earlier, it takes time to build up!) – check out my affiliate marketing guide here to learn more about affiliate marketing and finding the right programs to sign up for
- Send regular email broadcasts to your list, using ConvertKit; some do this daily, some weekly (and some, somewhere in between) – it’s up to you how often you want to send emails. However, it’s important to make sure that you set a schedule and stick to it – and inform your list as well about how often you’re going to email them, exactly
As for the topic of your list, it can be pretty much anything you want; here are some examples to get you inspired:
- Marketing tips: send your list daily/weekly/etc. marketing tips, or focus on a specific marketing niche, such as social media marketing or search engine optimization; this way, you can make by promoting affiliate products like the marketing software that you too use
- Recipes: if you love cooking and have gathered some awesome recipes, send your list regular recipes and promote relevant affiliate products like cooking utensils, for example
- Motivational and inspirational content: send your list content to help motivate and inspire them and promote books and the like to make money
- Health and fitness: send workout ideas, workout plans, health tips and tricks and so on and promote related products such as healthy foods and workout equipment
As you grow your list, you might even consider creating some products by yourself and selling them via your emails – this is another great way to monetize an email list. For example, you could create:
- Webinars and online courses
- Membership sites
- Strategies, templates and checklists
Want to Monetize your Email List?
Do I need a website?
Every successful email marketer needs a website to generate money online and reach customers. Click below to get 1-click WordPress Installation, web hosting and domain registration with Bluehost, the #1 trusted WordPress hosting.