How to Be an Online Life Coach
If all of the above sounds good to you, you are probably wondering what to do next. We suggest starting with getting yourself educated on online coaching, technology and entrepreneurship. While this may sound overwhelming, know that you do not have to master everything at once.
If you want to start your own online coaching business, here’s what you need to do:
How to be an online coach
- Pick your coaching niche: what kinds of coaching services can you offer? There are a lot of options, for pretty much any type of skill/knowledge; business coaching is probably one of the most popular options right now, but there are a lot of possibilities with pretty much any type of coaching. Consider your past experience and accolades, as well as your interests and passions and use that to pick a coaching niche that you’re confident in
- Get training and/or coaching certification: getting certification for coaching is not mandatory but it can help you a lot in your coaching career, especially if you don’t have a lot of accolades to help you show others why you’re the right choice for them. Plus, it can also help teach you what you need to do in order to be a good coach and further develop your coaching skills. Just look up accredited coach training programs in your country, using google – make sure to check whether they’re accredited or not before you start though!
- Create your business: get a business license and, ideally, consider speaking to a lawyer to help you draw up the coaching contracts to ensure you’re protected
- Build your business website: in order to get found online and start getting clients, you need a website. You can get hosting from Bluehost including a free domain name, and design your website yourself to save money, using premium WordPress Themes from Envato Themes – it’s much easier to do than you might expect, but make sure to check out my guide on how to start a blog here for step-by-step instructions on how to build a website
- Get other useful tools and equipment: as I mentioned earlier, you’re also going to need some essential tools and pieces of equipment; first off, you’ll need a good webinar/online meetings tool to ensure your online meetings run as smoothly as possible – I recommend ClickMeeting; next, you might also need a better microphone and headset to ensure that your coaching clients can hear you clearly (and you can hear them clearly too, of course)
- Create a marketing strategy: getting your first few clients will likely be quite difficult to do because people don’t know you yet and therefore, don’t have a reason to trust you. Because of that, you can start by offering a powerful lead magnet on your website (a how-to guide, an e-book or something similar, that can offer a lot of value to your target audience) to build an email list (you can use OptinMonster to create your opt-ins and ConvertKit to manage your email subscribers and send them regular emails). What’s more, you should also consider offering some short coaching sessions in the beginning in the hopes of turning them into full-time clients or at the very least, to get some testimonials on your website that you can use to convince future clients. Plus, make sure to work on your website’s search engine optimization so that potential clients can find you on Google (I use SEMrush to help with my SEO, for example)
This can be a very lucrative business but it will take a bit of time to get it off the ground; but, if you’re great at what you do and invest a lot in good marketing strategies (mainly SEO and your email list), you can become extremely successful and make good money from this business and easily turn into a full-time affair. So if you’re really serious about doing this and turning it into an actual business, it’s worth considering creating your own business and website.
Do I need a website?
Every successful online coach needs a website to generate money online and reach customers. Click below to get 1-click WordPress Installation, web hosting and domain registration with Bluehost, the #1 trusted WordPress hosting.
Need more ideas?
Explore more online business ideas. Check out our website business ideas or freelancing opportunities for more online business opportunities.